Interlibrary Loan Policy for Non-OSL Libraries February 2018
The Maury Loontjens Memorial Library
35 Kingstown Road, Narragansett, RI 401-789-9507
The Maury Loontjens Memorial Library is a member of the Ocean State Libraries consortium which means a library card issued from any OSL library will allow you to borrow materials from any OSL member library.The sharing of material between libraries is an integral element in the provision of library service. To that purpose, the Maury Loontjens Memorial Library participates in the Interlibrary Loan Service (ILL) which is an exchange of materials between both Rhode Island libraries and out of state libraries. Patrons must have a full access library card and be in good standing in order to request Interlibrary Loan items. Patrons may request items through the OSL (Ocean State Library) Catalog. Materials that are not available for loan in the OSL Catalog, may request in person at the Reference Desk or by calling the Reference Department ext. 3.
- There is no fee for the majority of these requests.
- Occasionally there may be an additional fee imposed by the loaning library for which the patron will be responsible. Patrons will be notified of these additional fees prior to the loan being ordered so that they can decide to proceed or not with the ILL.
- Interlibrary Loan requests from non-OSL libraries are limited to 5 pending at a time per patron. The Library and its users will honor the conditions of loan established by the lending library. Conditions may include loan period duration and use restrictions of loaned material along with overdue fines when applicable and replacement costs for lost items.
- Interlibrary Loan records will be retained until the transaction is complete, in accordance with RI Local Government Records Program: Records Retention Schedule: LG13: Public Library Records.
- Interlibrary Loan transactions are confidential. This is in accordance with R.I. State Law. (R.I. General Law 11-18-32)
- The Interlibrary Loan Service is governed by the Library of Rhode Island Standards &Regulations: Interlibrary Loan Code. (http://www.olis.ri.gov/lori/regs/index.php)
- All our Library items set as “holdable” are eligible for interlibrary loan requests.