Adopted by the Library Board of Trustees March 2017
These rules apply to everyone in the Maury Loontjens Memorial Library. “Library” shall mean all parts of the interior of the library including, the entrance and parking lot to the library. These rules may be enforced by suspending the privilege of using the library.
Library staff will intervene any of the activities or behaviors listed below by asking offenders to stop any disruptive activity immediately. If the activity/behavior continues, he or she will be instructed to leave the library for the balance of that day. Repeat offenses can result in long term suspension of library privileges.
- Patrons may not steal, damage or alter any property of the library including all equipment, software and programs.
Tobacco, illegal drugs or alcohol use of any kind is prohibited.
- Patrons must refrain from bringing in any food, and all beverage containers must be covered. Exceptions are made for library programming in designated areas.
- Patrons will not harass or threaten anyone in the library.
- There is no riding of skateboards, scooters, bikes or roller blades (including “heelys”) in the library or on library ramp.
- Bicycles must not be parked near the entrance, the stairway or ramp area. Bicycle racks are provided and locks are highly recommended.
- Patrons are expected to wear appropriate clothing including shirts, shoes and bathing suit cover-ups when appropriate.
- Indecent exposure will not be tolerated.
- Weapons of any kind are banned from the library except by law enforcement.
- Sleeping is not allowed in any part of the library with the exception of young children.
- Patrons are not allowed in the library when it is closed (except for special library events).
- Only petitions that benefits the library are allowed.
- Parents are responsible for their children’s behavior.
- Children under 10 years old cannot to be left unattended. See Children’s Library Use Policy (below)
- Patrons who disturb staff or other patrons with inappropriate behavior, language, or actions will be warned; continued disruptive activities can lead to library privileges being suspended. Judgment is at the staff’s discretion.
- No talking or tutoring in the quiet study or computer room.
- Phone use is acceptable as long as it is done quietly. If conversations are too loud or disturbing other users, phones should be taken outside in our vestibule entry.
- Follow library opening and closing times respectfully.
- No pets are allowed with the exception of properly documented service dogs.